Monday, March 15, 2010

A Shared Experience

Salem Bible Study
Teachings on Community

John 20:24-29 (The Message)

 24-25But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, "We saw the Master."    But he said, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it."
 26Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you."
 27Then he focused his attention on Thomas. "Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don't be unbelieving. Believe."
 28Thomas said, "My Master! My God!"
 29Jesus said, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing."

For Reflection:

One of the things that defines a community is shared experience.  Thomas confronts the disciples when they tell of their encounter with the Christ.  Thomas, not experiencing Christ as the others, must have felt left out.   He could not feel that he was a full member with out the experience others shared.  What shared experience draws you closer to the core of the community of believers?  What  shared experiences lead you to believe with out seeing?

Offer prayers of thanksgiving for the shared experience which binds you to the community of the faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.