Wednesday, December 12, 2012

One God

Jesus Is Lord
Victory in Jesus

One in Jesus Christ

Exodus 20:1-7

The Message 
20 1-2 God spoke all these words:
I am God, your God,
    who brought you out of the land of Egypt,
    out of a life of slavery.
No other gods, only me.
4-6 No carved gods of any size, shape, or form of anything whatever, whether of things that fly or walk or swim. Don’t bow down to them and don’t serve them because I am God, your God, and I’m a most jealous God, punishing the children for any sins their parents pass on to them to the third, and yes, even to the fourth generation of those who hate me. But I’m unswervingly loyal to the thousands who love me and keep my commandments.
No using the name of God, your God, in curses or silly banter; God won’t put up with the irreverent use of his name.

For Reflection
We are plagued by so many gods (ambition, wealth, position, acceptance, greed, etc.).  You could name hundreds more. They are so ubiquitous in our culture that we are unaware that we are seduced by these.  Let us not speak the god speak of wealth, acceptance, or any of the other culture born gods.  Speak the vocabulary of God.  Speak love.  Speak obedience. Speak in witness to God.

Pray
that you will recognize the false gods that seduce you away from the one God to whom you owe your life and your ability to love.  Pray that your loyalty to God will give you strength of will to be obedient only to God's will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.