Thursday, January 3, 2013

Speaking the Word with Boldness

Jesus Is Lord
Exalting Christ

Proclaiming Christ

Philippians 1:8-14

The Message
7-8 It’s not at all fanciful for me to think this way about you. My prayers and hopes have deep roots in reality. You have, after all, stuck with me all the way from the time I was thrown in jail, put on trial, and came out of it in one piece. All along you have experienced with me the most generous help from God. He knows how much I love and miss you these days. Sometimes I think I feel as strongly about you as Christ does!
9-11 So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover’s life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.

They Can’t Imprison the Message

12-14 I want to report to you, friends, that my imprisonment here has had the opposite of its intended effect. Instead of being squelched, the Message has actually prospered. All the soldiers here, and everyone else, too, found out that I’m in jail because of this Messiah. That piqued their curiosity, and now they’ve learned all about him. Not only that, but most of the followers of Jesus here have become far more sure of themselves in the faith than ever, speaking out fearlessly about God, about the Messiah.

For Reflection
The greatest gift in response to God's love for you is to live an exemplary life.  The witness to God in such a life spreads the Gospel message far more effectively than words could ever convey.

Pray
that you will let all that come in contact with you know by your demeanor that you are a child of God.  Not a wimpy, mushy dogooder, but a person committed to your God-centered life. An authentic citizen in the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.