Monday, February 3, 2014

Judging Rightly and Impartially

Jesus and the Just Reign of God
Live Justly in the Reign of God

Treat Everyone Equally

Deuteronomy 1:9-18

The Message
9-13 At the time I told you, “I can’t do this, can’t carry you all by myself. God, your God, has multiplied your numbers. Why, look at you—you rival the stars in the sky! And may God, the God-of-Your-Fathers, keep it up and multiply you another thousand times, bless you just as he promised. But how can I carry, all by myself, your troubles and burdens and quarrels? So select some wise, understanding, and seasoned men from your tribes, and I will commission them as your leaders.”
14 You answered me, “Good! A good solution.”
15 So I went ahead and took the top men of your tribes, wise and seasoned, and made them your leaders—leaders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens, officials adequate for each of your tribes.
16-17 At the same time I gave orders to your judges: “Listen carefully to complaints and accusations between your fellow Israelites. Judge fairly between each person and his fellow or foreigner. Don’t play favorites; treat the little and the big alike; listen carefully to each. Don’t be impressed by big names. This is God’s judgment you’re dealing with. Hard cases you can bring to me; I’ll deal with them.”
18 I issued orders to you at that time regarding everything you would have to deal with.

For Reflection
The only ones that are unhappy about unfair or unequal treatment are those who feel they were treated unfairly.  Those who are treated preferentially don't usually complain.  As stewards in God's kingdom, each of us is obligated to treat each other with equity.  Moses's charge to his judges is wise and a lesson for us all.  Judges are elected because of their reputation for wisdom, understanding and experience.  Each case is to be judged on its own merit without regard to tribal associations. 

Pray
that you will exercise the quality of judgment you would expect from others.  Pray for humility.  Pray that you will be a compassionate, wise and just judge in obedience to God's will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.