Monday, June 29, 2015

Good Deeds for the Oppresessed

God's Prophets Demand Justice
Amos Rails against Injustice


Micah Calls for Justice among Unjust People


No Rest for the Wicked

Job 29:7-20  The Message

7-20 “When I walked downtown
    and sat with my friends in the public square,
Young and old greeted me with respect;
    I was honored by everyone in town.
When I spoke, everyone listened;
    they hung on my every word.
People who knew me spoke well of me;
    my reputation went ahead of me.
I was known for helping people in trouble
    and standing up for those who were down on their luck.
The dying blessed me,
    and the bereaved were cheered by my visits.
All my dealings with people were good.
    I was known for being fair to everyone I met.
I was eyes to the blind
    and feet to the lame,
Father to the needy,
    and champion of abused aliens.
I grabbed street thieves by the scruff of the neck
    and made them give back what they’d stolen.
I thought, ‘I’ll die peacefully in my own bed,
    grateful for a long and full life,
A life deep-rooted and well-watered,
    a life limber and dew-fresh,
My soul suffused with glory
    and my body robust until the day I die.’

For Reflection 
Ask about Job.  What answers would you get?  Good Guy, blessed by God, fair, good to the needy, champion of the underdog, Job's reputation as a righteous man preceded him.  Job knew God and God new Job. Job's faith was deep-rooted in God's grace.  Job was God's poster child, an archetype of Godliness.  Yet, even Job, a child of God, will enter darkness.  This story of Job is a tale of faith's victory in the darkest of times.  Each of us experience dark times. In Job's shoes, how would you fair?

Pray
for the faith that will carry you through the darkest of times.  Pay that you will not succumb to the common understanding of the human plight.  Pray that your faith will not be undermined by those who would have you trivialize God and God's love, compassion and faith in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.