Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Dedication of Samuel

Sacred Gifts and Holy Gatherings
What We Bring to God


Dedication of Firstborn

1 Samuel 1:11The Message

9-11 So Hannah ate. Then she pulled herself together, slipped away quietly, and entered the sanctuary. The priest Eli was on duty at the entrance to God’s Temple in the customary seat. Crushed in soul, Hannah prayed to God and cried and cried—inconsolably. Then she made a vow:
Oh, God-of-the-Angel-Armies,
If you’ll take a good, hard look at my pain,
If you’ll quit neglecting me and go into action for me
By giving me a son,
I’ll give him completely, unreservedly to you.
I’ll set him apart for a life of holy discipline.

1 Samuel 1:20

Dedicating the Child to God

20 Before the year was out, Hannah had conceived and given birth to a son. She named him Samuel, explaining, “I asked God for him.”

1 Samuel 1:24-26

23-24 Elkanah said to his wife, “Do what you think is best. Stay home until you have weaned him. Yes! Let God complete what he has begun!”
So she did. She stayed home and nursed her son until she had weaned him. Then she took him up to Shiloh, bringing also the makings of a generous sacrificial meal—a prize bull, flour, and wine. The child was so young to be sent off!
25-26 They first butchered the bull, then brought the child to Eli. Hannah said, “Excuse me, sir. Would you believe that I’m the very woman who was standing before you at this very spot, praying to God? I prayed for this child, and God gave me what I asked for. And now I have dedicated him to God. He’s dedicated to God for life.”
Then and there, they worshiped God.

For Reflection 
Hanna was so convinced that God had answered her prayer that she committed herself to the nurture of Samuel and dedicating him to a life in obedience to God.  Today,  through baptism, Christians dedicate their children to a life in the Christian faith and the household of believers vow to nurture our children in the faith.

Pray
for the children of the faithful.  Pray that they will be able to reflect on their nurturing in the faith to sustain a close relationship to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.