Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Liars and Truth Speakers

Toward a New Creation
Judgment and Salvation


Ignoring God's Plain Truth

Hebrews 11:1-6  The Message

Psalm 63  The Message

A David Psalm, When He Was out in the Judean Wilderness

63 God—you’re my God!
    I can’t get enough of you!
I’ve worked up such hunger and thirst for God,
    traveling across dry and weary deserts.
2-4 So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,
    drinking in your strength and glory.
In your generous love I am really living at last!
    My lips brim praises like fountains.
I bless you every time I take a breath;
    My arms wave like banners of praise to you.
5-8 I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy;
    I smack my lips. It’s time to shout praises!
If I’m sleepless at midnight,
    I spend the hours in grateful reflection.
Because you’ve always stood up for me,
    I’m free to run and play.
I hold on to you for dear life,
    and you hold me steady as a post.
9-11 Those who are out to get me are marked for doom,
    marked for death, bound for hell.
They’ll die violent deaths;
    jackals will tear them limb from limb.
But the king is glad in God;
    his true friends spread the joy,
While small-minded gossips
    are gagged for good.

For Reflection
David expresses his gratefulness to God.  Though indebted to God, David is free to act and chooses to be an obedient servant.

But, David has enemies.  There are those who choose to ignore God's will. Not only do they not acknowledge God, but also, actively speak against God and lead others to worship other gods.

David does not take matters into his own hands, but rather, calls upon God to enact the vengeance that David is unwilling to take.  David encourages others to spread the joy of living in the hollow of God's hand.  Such joy displaces sin.

Pray
that you will have the strength to express joy in the face of godless threats.  Pray for the strength to refrain from taking matters into your own hands.  Pray for the trust and courage to let God judge.  Pray that you will always be glad in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.