Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Seek and Pursue Peace

Discipleship and Mission

Spread the Gospel

Live in the light of God (Isaiah 2:5) 


Called to a New Life in Christ

Psalm 34:1-14 The Message

A David Psalm

34 I bless God every chance I get;
my lungs expand with his praise.
2 I live and breathe God;
if things aren’t going well, hear this and be happy:
3 Join me in spreading the news;
together let’s get the word out.
4 God met me more than halfway,
he freed me from my anxious fears.
5 Look at him; give him your warmest smile.
Never hide your feelings from him.
6 When I was desperate, I called out,
and God got me out of a tight spot.
7 God’s angel sets up a circle
of protection around us while we pray.
8 Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see—
how good God is.
Blessed are you who run to him.
9 Worship God if you want the best;
worship opens doors to all his goodness.
10 Young lions on the prowl get hungry,
but God-seekers are full of God.
11 Come, children, listen closely;
I’ll give you a lesson in God worship.
12 Who out there has a lust for life?
Can’t wait each day to come upon beauty?
13 Guard your tongue from profanity,
and no more lying through your teeth.
14 Turn your back on sin; do something good.
Embrace peace—don’t let it get away!

For Reflection

This Psalm is uttered just after David had escaped death by feigning lunacy.  The irony of God's residence in our souls is that God works through events that seem disastrous. God not only permits suffering, God sends us on a path that does not eliminate obstacles but requires that we learn to overcome them.  Yes it is a shock and disappointment when we encounter suffering, 

In hearing Christ speak to us from the center of our souls, we engage our divine creativity to re-frame our pain and to see the utility of suffering to move ourselves  and others toward redemption and a joy filled life.  Love and suffering--without both how would we ever be motivated to mature into Grace?

Pray

Pray so that you can embrace suffering.  Pray so you can see beyond the pain into the will of a loving God who  leads you into a life experience that is greater than yourself.  Pray so that you can find rest and peace in the pain of transformative Grace.

Forward to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.