Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Holy Advocate

God Instructs the People of God

God's People Learn from Prosperity:
God Reacts to Disobedience

John 16:4-11

The Message

John 16

 1-4 "I've told you these things to prepare you for rough times ahead. They are going to throw you out of the meeting places. There will even come a time when anyone who kills you will think he's doing God a favor. They will do these things because they never really understood the Father. I've told you these things so that when the time comes and they start in on you, you'll be well-warned and ready for them.
The Friend Will Come
 4-7"I didn't tell you this earlier because I was with you every day. But now I am on my way to the One who sent me. Not one of you has asked, 'Where are you going?' Instead, the longer I've talked, the sadder you've become. So let me say it again, this truth: It's better for you that I leave. If I don't leave, the Friend won't come. But if I go, I'll send him to you. 8-11"When he comes, he'll expose the error of the godless world's view of sin, righteousness, and judgment: He'll show them that their refusal to believe in me is their basic sin; that righteousness comes from above, where I am with the Father, out of their sight and control; that judgment takes place as the ruler of this godless world is brought to trial and convicted.

For Reflection
The time of greatest temptation to deviate from the rules is when one is confronted with terror.  Jesus knows that things are going to get rough for the disciples.  He indicates that until He ascends, his role as Paraclete (spirit, counselor, advocate) cannot begin.  The fact that he references a new role in the Kingdom of God indicates that we individually will be able to call upon his name and know that justice will prevail.

How does this make the kind of justice God delivers in Joshua different.  What is new here?  Are we free to do as we want or are we still governed by God's rules.  How does Jesus fit into your ability to avoid breaking the covenant you and God enjoy?

Pray
quietly so that you can hear Christ.  Ask for guidance.  Ask for strength to follow your faith.  Pray for supreme trust in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.