Monday, June 6, 2011

Live Long and Prosper

God Instructs the People of God

God's People Learn from Prosperity:
God Has Expectations



Deuteronomy 5:28-33 (The Message)


 28-29 God heard what you said to me and told me, "I've heard what the people said to you. They're right—good and true words. What I wouldn't give if they'd always feel this way, continuing to revere me and always keep all my commands; they'd have a good life forever, they and their children!
 30-31 "Go ahead and tell them to go home to their tents. But you, you stay here with me so I can tell you every commandment and all the rules and regulations that you must teach them so they'll know how to live in the land that I'm giving them as their own."
 32-33 So be very careful to act exactly as God commands you. Don't veer off to the right or the left. Walk straight down the road God commands so that you'll have a good life and live a long time in the land that you're about to possess.

For Reflection
The God of Moses and the God of the people of Israel has always instructed His people and their leaders.  He is pleased when we keep his commandments and lead righteous lives.  Here God promises a good life if His people follow his advice.  I'm not sure that God means that each individual will live long and prosper.  But, as a unit, the people of God will survive and prosper. 

Think about that for a while.  What does that mean to you?  What responsibilities do you have in the prosperity of God's People.  How does the Christ event change the meaning of this passage for modern times?

Pray
for the realization of God's Kingdom on Earth.  Pray that you, "Walk straight down the road God commands..."  Pray that you play your part in God's plan according to His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.