Monday, November 14, 2011

Pray for Deliverance

Tradition and Wisdom
Teaching and Learning:

Praying as God's People

Genesis 32:6-12

The Message
 6 The messengers came back to Jacob and said, "We talked to your brother Esau and he's on his way to meet you. But he has four hundred men with him."
 7-8 Jacob was scared. Very scared. Panicked, he divided his people, sheep, cattle, and camels into two camps. He thought, "If Esau comes on the first camp and attacks it, the other camp has a chance to get away."
 9-12 And then Jacob prayed, "God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, God who told me, 'Go back to your parents' homeland and I'll treat you well.' I don't deserve all the love and loyalty you've shown me. When I left here and crossed the Jordan I only had the clothes on my back, and now look at me—two camps! Save me, please, from the violence of my brother, my angry brother! I'm afraid he'll come and attack us all, me, the mothers and the children. You yourself said, 'I will treat you well; I'll make your descendants like the sands of the sea, far too many to count.'"

For Reflection
Each of us have demons to face.  Some are internal and some are external threats.  Jacob in a prayer to be delivered from the impending threat (whether real of imagined) reminds God of his promise and entreats Him to honor it.  Jacob had the confidence in the covenant between him and God that God would answer his prayer.

Pray
prayers to be delivered from what ever troubles you.  Pray that others in pain will be comforted.  Pray for the confidence in God's promise to deliver you out of the circumstances that frighten and threaten you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.