Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Divine Intervention

FAITH IN ACTION:
LIVING AS FAITHFUL PEOPLE
God's Protection

Out of Egypt

Exodus 15:4-10

FAITH IN ACTION:
LIVING AS FAITHFUL PEOPLE
God's Protection

Out of Egypt

Exodus 15:4-10

The Message
 1-8 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to God, giving voice together,

   I'm singing my heart out to God—what a victory!
      He pitched horse and rider into the sea.
   God is my strength, God is my song,
      and, yes! God is my salvation.
   This is the kind of God I have
      and I'm telling the world!
   This is the God of my father—
      I'm spreading the news far and wide!
   God is a fighter,
      pure God, through and through.
   Pharaoh's chariots and army
      he dumped in the sea,
   The elite of his officers
      he drowned in the Red Sea.
   Wild ocean waters poured over them;
      they sank like a rock in the deep blue sea.
   Your strong right hand, God, shimmers with power;
      your strong right hand shatters the enemy.
   In your mighty majesty
      you smash your upstart enemies,
   You let loose your hot anger
      and burn them to a crisp.
   At a blast from your nostrils
      the waters piled up;
   Tumbling streams dammed up,
      wild oceans curdled into a swamp.

 9 The enemy spoke,
      "I'll pursue, I'll hunt them down,
   I'll divide up the plunder,
      I'll glut myself on them;
   I'll pull out my sword,
      my fist will send them reeling."

 10-11 You blew with all your might
      and the sea covered them.
   They sank like a lead weight
      in the majestic waters.
   Who compares with you
      among gods, O God?
   Who compares with you in power,
      in holy majesty,
   In awesome praises,
      wonder-working God?

For Reflection 
"How Can I Keep from Singing"

Moses lead the the Israelites out of Egypt.  They celebrated the toil of their journey and remembering their God, sang praises and expressed their joy in God's mighty power.  How do you sing in remembrance of what God has done for you?

Here are three quite different versions of the Robert Wadsworth Lowry hymn.  Sing joyfully for the promise of living in the hollow of God's hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leR0iJNQLFs&feature=related OR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVnGNgdpZE&feature=related OR Appalachian immersed, John McCutcheon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVmJdZVvKE

Pray
with songs of you own.  Sing loudly of the fruits of your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.