Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Security of Trust

A Living Faith
What is Faith?

Faith Is Assurance

Psalm 4

The Message
A David Psalm
 1 When I call, give me answers. God, take my side! Once, in a tight place, you gave me room;
   Now I'm in trouble again: grace me! hear me!

 2 You rabble—how long do I put up with your scorn?
   How long will you lust after lies?
   How long will you live crazed by illusion?

 3 Look at this: look
   Who got picked by God!
   He listens the split second I call to him.

 4-5 Complain if you must, but don't lash out.
   Keep your mouth shut, and let your heart do the talking.
   Build your case before God and wait for his verdict.

 6-7 Why is everyone hungry for more? "More, more," they say.
   "More, more."
   I have God's more-than-enough,
   More joy in one ordinary day

 7-8 Than they get in all their shopping sprees.
   At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep,
   For you, God, have put my life back together.

For Reflection
"... In trouble again."  David's people have again disappointed him.

And so it is with us.  Time and time again we forget that we are born in God's image, imbued with the capacity for rationality, control and selflessness.   And yet, we succumb to irrationality, driven by fear and taken with lies and illusion.  When will we learn?  Have we so little faith that we lack common courtesy, humility and hospitality?

By faith and prayer cast your lot upon God. Leave to God the cares of this world,  And as for all of us, we would be better off if we conduct discussions of our differences civilly and in good faith.

Pray
that you will treat your words as windows into God's will;  listen to the words of the world with God's ear. listen to the words of scripture; listen to God's whispered wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.