Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Humble and Contrite in Spirit

God's People Worship
The Prophet and Praise

Fasting and Praying

Isaiah 66:1-4

The Message

Living Worship to God

66 1-2 God’s Message:
“Heaven’s my throne,
    earth is my footstool.
What sort of house could you build for me?
    What holiday spot reserve for me?
I made all this! I own all this!”
    God’s Decree.
“But there is something I’m looking for:
    a person simple and plain,
    reverently responsive to what I say.
3-4 “Your acts of worship
    are acts of sin:
Your sacrificial slaughter of the ox
    is no different from murdering the neighbor;
Your offerings for worship,
    no different from dumping pig’s blood on the altar;
Your presentation of memorial gifts,
    no different from honoring a no-god idol.
You choose self-serving worship,
    you delight in self-centered worship—disgusting!
Well, I choose to expose your nonsense
    and let you realize your worst fears,
Because when I invited you, you ignored me;
    when I spoke to you, you brushed me off.
You did the very things I exposed as evil,
    you chose what I hate.”

For Reflection
We are human.  This means that we have no hard wired connection to God.  We have over time misinterpreted God's desire for us to be transformed by his grace.  We have perverted our acts of worship.  We have used his presence to enhance our power over people.  We have acted in hate rather than in love.  We have punished rather than offered reconciliation.  We have distorted God for our own desires.

And yet. God forgives us.  He entreats us to accept reconciliation.  He offers justice and compassion in contrast to our need to control through fear.  God is a never failing source of a new life in Him.  Praise be to God. 

Pray
that you will respond to the spirit of God which resides in you.  Pray that you will reject the god made in human image and respond to the human made in God's image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.