Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Holy Convocation

Jesus and the Just Reign of God
God Sends Jesus

Honoring the Sabbath

Leviticus 23:1-8

The Message

The Feasts

23 1-2 God spoke to Moses: “Tell the People of Israel, These are my appointed feasts, the appointed feasts of God which you are to decree as sacred assemblies.
“Work six days. The seventh day is a Sabbath, a day of total and complete rest, a sacred assembly. Don’t do any work. Wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to God.
“These are the appointed feasts of God, the sacred assemblies which you are to announce at the times set for them:
God’s Passover, beginning at sundown on the fourteenth day of the first month.
6-8 God’s Feast of Unraised Bread, on the fifteenth day of this same month. You are to eat unraised bread for seven days. Hold a sacred assembly on the first day; don’t do any regular work. Offer Fire-Gifts to God for seven days. On the seventh day hold a sacred assembly; don’t do any regular work.”

For Reflection
I used to think that rituals were old fashioned and a waste of time.  A faith based upon ritual, it seemed to me, was more habit than substantive.  I used to reject such foolish practice. 

Then I got older!  I realized that I had developed rituals of my own that anchored my life. Not all of those rituals were sacred.  I discovered that I really missed the old religious rituals. 

What rituals do you perform that anchor your life? 

Pray
that you spend time engaging in rituals that anchor your faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.