Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Hope of Israel

Sustaining Hope
The Days Are Surely Coming


Improbable Possibilities


Jeremiah 17:12-18  The Message

12-13 From early on your Sanctuary was set high,
    a throne of glory, exalted!
O God, you’re the hope of Israel.
    All who leave you end up as fools,
Deserters with nothing to show for their lives,
    who walk off from God, fountain of living waters—
    and wind up dead!
14-18 God, pick up the pieces.
    Put me back together again.
    You are my praise!
Listen to how they talk about me:
    “So where’s this ‘Word of God’?
    We’d like to see something happen!”
But it wasn’t my idea to call for Doomsday.
    I never wanted trouble.
You know what I’ve said.
    It’s all out in the open before you.
Don’t add to my troubles.
    Give me some relief!
Let those who harass me be harassed, not me.
    Let them be disgraced, not me.
Bring down upon them the day of doom.
    Lower the boom. Boom!

For Reflection
We all know people who we think need to feel the lowered "Boom!"  But, alas, it is not our right to judge who gets the "boom."  So we lament or whine to God to do something. 

We fail to recognize that God has already done something.  God has removed the threat of disgrace and the power of death.  Our complaints are a sure sign that we lack the confidence brought by placing our hope in the Holy Spirit.  Live as though you had perfect confidence in the Lord.  Live with the self-assured and God-assured promise of salvation.
Pray
prayers of thanksgiving.  Pray that you will recognize the relief that God has provided.  Pray that you will act in perfect confidence in the hope of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.