Thursday, March 12, 2015

I Commit My Spirit

The Spirit Comes
The Pledge of God's Presence


The Spirit of Truth

Psalm 31:1-13 The Message

A David Psalm

31 1-2 I run to you, God; I run for dear life.
    Don’t let me down!
    Take me seriously this time!
Get down on my level and listen,
    and please—no procrastination!
Your granite cave a hiding place,
    your high cliff aerie a place of safety.
3-5 You’re my cave to hide in,
    my cliff to climb.
Be my safe leader,
    be my true mountain guide.
Free me from hidden traps;
    I want to hide in you.
I’ve put my life in your hands.
    You won’t drop me,
    you’ll never let me down.
6-13 I hate all this silly religion,
    but you, God, I trust.
I’m leaping and singing in the circle of your love;
    you saw my pain,
    you disarmed my tormentors,
You didn’t leave me in their clutches
    but gave me room to breathe.
Be kind to me, God
    I’m in deep, deep trouble again.
I’ve cried my eyes out;
    I feel hollow inside.
My life leaks away, groan by groan;
    my years fade out in sighs.
My troubles have worn me out,
    turned my bones to powder.
To my enemies I’m a monster;
    I’m ridiculed by the neighbors.
My friends are horrified;
    they cross the street to avoid me.
They want to blot me from memory,
    forget me like a corpse in a grave,
    discard me like a broken dish in the trash.
The street-talk gossip has me
    “criminally insane”!
Behind locked doors they plot
    how to ruin me for good.

For Reflection
God's OK!  But, I'm not so sure about God's Church!

Have you hear others express this sentiment?  Perhaps, you feel the same way sometimes.  Especially when I see what some are passing off as Christian; when the theology is poor and the actions are retributive.  Where is the Joy?  Where the Mercy?  Where is Forgiveness.

The church as an organization is fallible.  The Church's weaknesses provide strong reason to understand but little reason to abandon.  As flawed as it may be, communion with the faithful supports the spirit.  Given a chance, God's work moves forward.


Pray
For the Church Universal.  Pray prayers of thanksgiving for the living God, found in Jesus Christ.   Pray so that you remain in an intimate relationship with Christ. Pray so that you will not be trapped by churchish squabbles.  Pray that you will emulate the living Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.