Thursday, November 26, 2015

Teach Me Your Ways

The Christian Community Comes AliveSeeds of New Growth
Thessalonica, Beroea, and Athens

Exodus 33:12-18  The Message

12-13 Moses said to God, “Look, you tell me, ‘Lead this people,’ but you don’t let me know whom you’re going to send with me. You tell me, ‘I know you well and you are special to me.’ If I am so special to you, let me in on your plans. That way, I will continue being special to you. Don’t forget, this is your people, your responsibility.”
14 God said, “My presence will go with you. I’ll see the journey to the end.”
15-16 Moses said, “If your presence doesn’t take the lead here, call this trip off right now. How else will it be known that you’re with me in this, with me and your people? Are you traveling with us or not? How else will we know that we’re special, I and your people, among all other people on this planet Earth?”
17 God said to Moses: “All right. Just as you say; this also I will do, for I know you well and you are special to me. I know you by name.”
18 Moses said, “Please. Let me see your Glory.”

 
For Reflection
God's way is a radical departure from the ways of human culture.  God's way is to trust in humanity.  God's way is to provide support and guidance.  Here, Moses' trust is limited.  Moses wants a sign.  "Let me see your Glory," Moses petitions. 

How much proof that God is with us do we need?  What about those who proclaim God's support or invoke God's name for selfish ends?  How do we know God is with us?

Perhaps we will never know when God is with us.  Perhaps we have to accept uncertainty,  Perhaps we need to trust that God will use us to good ends.  Perhaps we will have to work for justice, compassion, forgiveness and inclusion and trust in the Creator.  Accept the mystery that is God!

Pray
Pray constantly so that you will come closer to knowing God.  Pray in humility that God's will be done.  Pray prayers of thanksgiving in the face of fear.  Pray for compassion in the face of threat.  Pray for forgiveness in the face of retribution.  Pray for the peace that is not just the absence of war but the presence of justice compassion and love.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.