Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Cost of Being a Disciple

Creation: A Divine Cycle
The Birthing of a New Community


New Birth Brings Freedom

Luke 9:23-27,57-62  The Message

23-27 Then he told them what they could expect for themselves: “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat—I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? If any of you is embarrassed with me and the way I’m leading you, know that the Son of Man will be far more embarrassed with you when he arrives in all his splendor in company with the Father and the holy angels. This isn’t, you realize, pie in the sky by and by. Some who have taken their stand right here are going to see it happen, see with their own eyes the kingdom of God.” 
57 On the road someone asked if he could go along. “I’ll go with you, wherever,” he said.
58 Jesus was curt: “Are you ready to rough it? We’re not staying in the best inns, you know.”
Jesus said to another, “Follow me.”
59 He said, “Certainly, but first excuse me for a couple of days, please. I have to make arrangements for my father’s funeral.”
60 Jesus refused. “First things first. Your business is life, not death. And life is urgent: Announce God’s kingdom!”
61 Then another said, “I’m ready to follow you, Master, but first excuse me while I get things straightened out at home.”
62 Jesus said, “No procrastination. No backward looks. You can’t put God’s kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day.”
For Reflection
This story is Luke's version of a story also told in Matthew.  A Scribe approached Jesus just before this story. " “Master, I will accompany You [as Your student] wherever You go. ”Jesus replied to him, “Foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”

Neither of the followers of Christ had sufficient passion for Christ's mission to practice the Way.  Each had an idolatry with which to deal.  The scribe was interested only in Christ as an academic pursuit, perhaps lifting his reputation.  The second disciple put his worldly inheritance ahead of his commitment to practice "The Way." Each was unwilling to bear the cost of discipleship.

What has your faith cost you?   To what extent is your willingness to bear the cost of your faith a sign of your commitment to Christ?


Pray
that you will continue to make God the center of your spiritual, moral and physical existence. Pray that you will be willing to pay the price your faith demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.