Monday, June 24, 2019

Wrongdoers

Living in Covenant

A Heart-felt Covenant

Live in the light of God (Isaiah 2:5) 


Jesus Teaches about Right Attitudes


Psalm 57 The Message


A David Psalm, When He Hid in a Cave from Saul

57 1-3 Be good to me, God—and now!
    I’ve run to you for dear life.
I’m hiding out under your wings
    until the hurricane blows over.
I call out to High God,
    the God who holds me together.
He sends orders from heaven and saves me,
    he humiliates those who kick me around.
God delivers generous love,
    he makes good on his word.
4 I find myself in a pride of lions
    who are wild for a taste of human flesh;
Their teeth are lances and arrows,
    their tongues are sharp daggers.
5 Soar high in the skies, O God!
    Cover the whole earth with your glory!
6 They booby-trapped my path;
    I thought I was dead and done for.
They dug a mantrap to catch me,
    and fell in headlong themselves.
7-8 I’m ready, God, so ready,
    ready from head to toe,
Ready to sing, ready to raise a tune:
    “Wake up, soul!
Wake up, harp! wake up, lute!
    Wake up, you sleepyhead sun!”
9-10 I’m thanking you, God, out loud in the streets,
    singing your praises in town and country.
The deeper your love, the higher it goes;
    every cloud is a flag to your faithfulness.
11 Soar high in the skies, O God!
    Cover the whole earth with your glory!

For Reflection

How do you react to threatening circumstances? Do you strike out wildly or do back off and listen to God's assurance buried deep in your soul that eases your burden and follow a radical trust in the knowledge that God will make all things right?


David hides and waits for the calamity to pass. David trusts that he will receive divine protection. In great distress, he did not pray. " God exalt me."

David prayed, God, show yourself to be the supreme ruler. Spread your glory across the heavens and the Earth. David is confident that the tumult will end and God will make all things right.

Pray

Pray Not for your discomfort to end. Pray, instead, for God's glory to be known in your time of suffering. Pray not that you will escape your troubles. Pray that in your confidence that the will of God will be accomplished and you will be a witness to the living God.

Note: Dyed silk banner by students at the Presbyterian Association of Musicians Conference, Montreat, NC, 2019

Forward to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.