Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Refusing Christ

Salem Bible Study
Teachings on Community

John 5:39-47 (The Message)
39You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
 41"I do not accept praise from men, 42but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?
 45"But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"

For Reflection:

Studying the scriptures will deepen your understanding and your faith.  However, it is not enough to believe, one must also act in accordance.  Believe in the scriptures. Believe in Jesus also.  How can you connect to Jesus?  How does connecting to Jesus connect you to the community of believers?

Pray that you are not so deeply mired in the scripture that you cannot see Jesus as the ultimate interpreter of the scriptures.  Pray to understand the scriptures in light of the Christ event.  Pray that you act in accord with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.