Friday, May 21, 2010

An Example of Love

Salem Bible Study
Teachings on Community


Philemon 1-7 (The Message)

1-3I, Paul, am a prisoner for the sake of Christ, here with my brother Timothy. I write this letter to you, Philemon, my good friend and companion in this work—also to our sister Apphia, to Archippus, a real trooper, and to the church that meets in your house. God's best to you! Christ's blessings on you!
 4-7Every time your name comes up in my prayers, I say, "Oh, thank you, God!" I keep hearing of the love and faith you have for the Master Jesus, which brims over to other believers. And I keep praying that this faith we hold in common keeps showing up in the good things we do, and that people recognize Christ in all of it. Friend, you have no idea how good your love makes me feel, doubly so when I see your hospitality to fellow believers.

For Reflection


"Butter up!"  Sorry, I could not avoid the pun.  It is, after all,  baseball season.  We might well hear an umpire yell, "Batter up!"

Paul is a master rhetorician.  At first glance one might think that this passage is pure flattery.  Well, there is some of that.  However, it is the sincere out pouring of love that is flattering.  Paul calls himself a prisoner to indicate the depth of his commitment to his missionary task.  This label may also indicate the seriousness of  the consequences of that commitment.

Paul is about to yell, "Batter up!"  He is about to ask Philemon to accept his emissaries into Philemon's church.  The way Paul approaches Philemon is a reflection of the love Paul has for him and for Christ's mission. 

Pray that you will have the courage to become a prisoner to Christ.  Pray that when Christ calls, "Batter up!" you will find ways to express the love that results from imprisonment in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.