Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Love and Service

Salem Bible Study
Teachings on Community

John 21:15-19 (The Message)
Do You Love Me?
 15After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?"    "Yes, Master, you know I love you."
   Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
 16He then asked a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
   "Yes, Master, you know I love you."
   Jesus said, "Shepherd my sheep."
 17-19Then he said it a third time: "Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
   Peter was upset that he asked for the third time, "Do you love me?" so he answered, "Master, you know everything there is to know. You've got to know that I love you."
   Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I'm telling you the very truth now: When you were young you dressed yourself and went wherever you wished, but when you get old you'll have to stretch out your hands while someone else dresses you and takes you where you don't want to go." He said this to hint at the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. And then he commanded, "Follow me."

For Reflection

The sincerity of our love for God often brings us to the test.  Christ continues to ask us all, "Do you love me?"  If so then act like it!   He asks us to live a life to the glory of God.  He ask us to follow him and tend his sheep.  It is not because we lack the love for Christ, it is because we do that we are tested.  As you live your life today, notice those things which challenge your faith.  How did you tend the sheep?

Pray that you live a life that reflects the love you have for Christ.  Pray so that even in the face of going where you don't want to go, you have been in the service of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.