Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Symbol of Salvation

We Worship God
A Guide for Worship Leaders:
Heavenly Worship



Matthew 26:1719, 26-30 (The Message)

 17On the first of the Days of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and said, "Where do you want us to prepare your Passover meal?" 18-19He said, "Enter the city. Go up to a certain man and say, 'The Teacher says, My time is near. I and my disciples plan to celebrate the Passover meal at your house.'" The disciples followed Jesus' instructions to the letter, and prepared the Passover meal.

The Bread and the Cup
 26-29During the meal, Jesus took and blessed the bread, broke it, and gave it to his disciples:

   Take, eat.
   This is my body.
Taking the cup and thanking God, he gave it to them:

   Drink this, all of you.
   This is my blood,
   God's new covenant poured out for many people
      for the forgiveness of sins.
"I'll not be drinking wine from this cup again until that new day when I'll drink with you in the kingdom of my Father." 30They sang a hymn and went directly to Mount Olives.

For Reflection
We surround ourselves with many symbols of the salvation story.  One of the most powerful symbols of our comitment to a transformational rebirth in Christ is Holy Communion.  What other symbols of your faith remind and encourage you to be faithful?

Pray
prayers of thanksgiving for the gift of Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.