Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Lord Has Chosen Zion

God's Creative Word
The Word is Here and Now

Cleansing the Temple

Psalm 132:1-14

The Message
A Pilgrim Song
 1-5 O God, remember David, remember all his troubles!
   And remember how he promised God,
      made a vow to the Strong God of Jacob,
   "I'm not going home,
      and I'm not going to bed,
   I'm not going to sleep,
      not even take time to rest,
   Until I find a home for God,
      a house for the Strong God of Jacob."

 6-7 Remember how we got the news in Ephrathah,
      learned all about it at Jaar Meadows?
   We shouted, "Let's go to the shrine dedication!
      Let's worship at God's own footstool!"

 8-10 Up, God, enjoy your new place of quiet repose,
      you and your mighty covenant ark;
   Get your priests all dressed up in justice;
      prompt your worshipers to sing this prayer:
   "Honor your servant David;
      don't disdain your anointed one."

 11-18 God gave David his word,
      he won't back out on this promise:
   "One of your sons
      I will set on your throne;
   If your sons stay true to my Covenant
      and learn to live the way I teach them,
   Their sons will continue the line—
      always a son to sit on your throne.
   Yes—I, God, chose Zion,
      the place I wanted for my shrine;
   This will always be my home;
      this is what I want, and I'm here for good.
   I'll shower blessings on the pilgrims who come here,
      and give supper to those who arrive hungry;
   I'll dress my priests in salvation clothes;
      the holy people will sing their hearts out!
   Oh, I'll make the place radiant for David!
      I'll fill it with light for my anointed!
   I'll dress his enemies in dirty rags,
      but I'll make his crown sparkle with splendor."

For Reflection 
Places of Christian worship, God's residences (so-to-speak), come in a variety of shapes, sizes and ornateness.  They range from large expansive radiant architectural masterpieces to humble store fronts and even wooded campsites.  No matter how lavish, all have one thing in common.  Each is a sign of God working to reconcile humankind to Him and through him to each other.  Why shouldn't a church be an extravagant sacrifice to our God?  Why shouldn't a church be a humble place where intimacy with God can be found?  In each place God will "...shower blessings on the pilgrims who come here, and give supper to those who arrive hungry;  I'll dress my priests in salvation clothes; the holy people will sing their hearts out!"

One Sunday after church, I was on a bike ride.  I passed a small humble wooden framed church out of which sprang the voices of an enthusiastic congregation singing praise.  One Sunday while in a conference work session I was lured into the next hotel meeting room where Christians were dressed in their finest clothes singing with guitar and drum their loud praise and holding communion .  One early Sunday morning I sat in the open air with a handful of other Christians on makeshift benches on an Atlantic beach and sang hymns in praise of God.  Wherever two or three are gathered...

Pray
that you will always find comfort in the fellowship of believers.  Pray that all people will find sanctuary in Holy places where God will speak to them.  Pray that our churches no matter how extravagant or humble will be a beacon for God's call and a residing place, a sanctuary, for human kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.