Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Consequences of Disobedience

The People of God Set Priorities
Hope and Confidence Come from God

Trust God's Promises

Leviticus 26:14-26

The Message

“But If You Refuse to Obey Me . . .”

14-17 “But if you refuse to obey me and won’t observe my commandments, despising my decrees and holding my laws in contempt by your disobedience, making a shambles of my covenant, I’ll step in and pour on the trouble: debilitating disease, high fevers, blindness, your life leaking out bit by bit. You’ll plant seed but your enemies will eat the crops. I’ll turn my back on you and stand by while your enemies defeat you. People who hate you will govern you. You’ll run scared even when there’s no one chasing you.
18-20 “And if none of this works in getting your attention, I’ll discipline you seven times over for your sins. I’ll break your strong pride: I’ll make the skies above you like a sheet of tin and the ground under you like cast iron. No matter how hard you work, nothing will come of it: No crops out of the ground, no fruit off the trees.
21-22 “If you defy me and refuse to listen, your punishment will be seven times more than your sins: I’ll set wild animals on you; they’ll rob you of your children, kill your cattle, and decimate your numbers until you’ll think you are living in a ghost town.
23-26 “And if even this doesn’t work and you refuse my discipline and continue your defiance, then it will be my turn to defy you. I, yes I, will punish you for your sins seven times over: I’ll let war loose on you, avenging your breaking of the covenant; when you huddle in your cities for protection, I’ll send a deadly epidemic on you and you’ll be helpless before your enemies; when I cut off your bread supply, ten women will bake bread in one oven and ration it out. You’ll eat, but barely—no one will get enough.
 
For Reflection
OUCH!   
Where do you draw the line in assigning your woes to the wrath of God?  If you are troubled by an angry God remember God's grace and unconditional forgiveness.  If you are sure that your undesirable circumstances are a sign of your disobedience, then, by all means, confess your sin and repent.  Change.  Become one who is transformed by the Holy Spirit into a life lived in the hollow of God's hand.  Adopt a life of righteousness.
 
Pray
that you will listen to the God whispers that guide your life.  Pray that all will follow the life that Christ has revealed to us.  Confess your short comings and turn to God. Pray that you will choose to live in the hands of a loving, forgiving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.