Friday, August 1, 2014

A Cause for Giving Thanks

The People of God Set Priorities
Bearing One Another's Burdens

Consolation Granted through Prayer

Philemon 1:3-7 The Message

1-3 I, Paul, am a prisoner for the sake of Christ, here with my brother Timothy. I write this letter to you, Philemon, my good friend and companion in this work—also to our sister Apphia, to Archippus, a real trooper, and to the church that meets in your house. God’s best to you! Christ’s blessings on you!
4-7 Every time your name comes up in my prayers, I say, “Oh, thank you, God!” I keep hearing of the love and faith you have for the Master Jesus, which brims over to other believers. And I keep praying that this faith we hold in common keeps showing up in the good things we do, and that people recognize Christ in all of it. Friend, you have no idea how good your love makes me feel, doubly so when I see your hospitality to fellow believers.
 
For Reflection
How do we compliment each other?  For Paul, just saying, "Good job!" is not enough.  Paul begins by acknowledging God's hand.  Paul is specific about what he admires and how it makes him feel.  He places the act in the context of the realization of God's Kingdom and encourages like behavior.  Nowhere in these passages does Paul refer to any reference of Good or Bad.  He lets the listener decide for him or herself that the praise is deserved.   How do you praise?
 
Pray
that my praise of others will result in encouragement, confidence in God's will, and  consistent engagement in the pursuit of the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.