Friday, April 22, 2016

Journeying from Family

The Gift of Faith
Restorative Faith

A Family Reunion

Acts 20:17-24 The Message

On to Jerusalem

17-21 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus for the leaders of the congregation. When they arrived, he said, “You know that from day one of my arrival in Asia I was with you totally—laying my life on the line, serving the Master no matter what, putting up with no end of scheming by Jews who wanted to do me in. I didn’t skimp or trim in any way. Every truth and encouragement that could have made a difference to you, you got. I taught you out in public and I taught you in your homes, urging Jews and Greeks alike to a radical life-change before God and an equally radical trust in our Master Jesus.
22-24 “But there is another urgency before me now. I feel compelled to go to Jerusalem. I’m completely in the dark about what will happen when I get there. I do know that it won’t be any picnic, for the Holy Spirit has let me know repeatedly and clearly that there are hard times and imprisonment ahead. But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.

For Reflection 
Paul puts his action where his mouth is.  He is willing to face adversity with dread, but with an overriding eagerness to follow God's call. 

Not only Paul faced death in obedience to God's call.  Christians were attractive not only because of the joyous life they lead in Christian fellowship, but also, because of the service they preformed for the poor and sick.  Each time they served those burdened with disease, they were exposed, succumbing to the illnesses of those whom they served.  So, many died in obedience to God.  This was indeed a radical life change that required radical trust.  To the early Christian, conversion was not motivated by what favor God would bestow, but rather, what they can do for God.  In being reborn into the service of God, the early Christians achieved atonement, and a fearless lust for a righteous life.

Pray
that you will find in God a fearless lust for a righteous life.  Pray for courage to follow the Way.  Pray for radical trust in the promise of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.