Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Believing and Suffering in Christ

Faith in Action

The Early Church Proclaims Faith in Christ


Faith to Persevere

Philippians 1:25-30 The Message

22-26 As long as I’m alive in this body, there is good work for me to do. If I had to choose right now, I hardly know which I’d choose. Hard choice! The desire to break camp here and be with Christ is powerful. Some days I can think of nothing better. But most days, because of what you are going through, I am sure that it’s better for me to stick it out here. So I plan to be around awhile, companion to you as your growth and joy in this life of trusting God continues. You can start looking forward to a great reunion when I come visit you again. We’ll be praising Christ, enjoying each other.
27-30 Meanwhile, live in such a way that you are a credit to the Message of Christ. Let nothing in your conduct hang on whether I come or not. Your conduct must be the same whether I show up to see things for myself or hear of it from a distance. Stand united, singular in vision, contending for people’s trust in the Message, the good news, not flinching or dodging in the slightest before the opposition. Your courage and unity will show them what they’re up against: defeat for them, victory for you—and both because of God. There’s far more to this life than trusting in Christ. There’s also suffering for him. And the suffering is as much a gift as the trusting. You’re involved in the same kind of struggle you saw me go through, on which you are now getting an updated report in this letter.

For Reflection

We cannot underestimate the suffering Paul endured in prison.  Here, Paul seems to suggest that he entertained suicide, that being with Christ was a powerful draw.  But the divine opportunity gave hope to his terrible predicament. He calls for all believers to conduct themselves in a way that honors the Gospel.  He asks the Philippians to trust in the message and face the challenges of suffering for Christ.

How does your witness to the Gospel honor Christ?

Pray

Pray for the opportunity to suffer in witness to the Gospel.  Pray prayers of thanksgiving that in your trust in God you find rest in a suffering world.

Forward to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.