Monday, December 4, 2017

God's Call to Samuel

Faith in Action

The Early Church Proclaims Faith in Christ


Faith to Discern

1 Samuel 3:1-9 The Message

“Speak, God. I’m Ready to Listen”

3 1-3 The boy Samuel was serving God under Eli’s direction. This was at a time when the revelation of God was rarely heard or seen. One night Eli was sound asleep (his eyesight was very bad—he could hardly see). It was well before dawn; the sanctuary lamp was still burning. Samuel was still in bed in the Temple of God, where the Chest of God rested.
4-5 Then God called out, “Samuel, Samuel!”
Samuel answered, “Yes? I’m here.” Then he ran to Eli saying, “I heard you call. Here I am.”
Eli said, “I didn’t call you. Go back to bed.” And so he did.
6-7 God called again, “Samuel, Samuel!”
Samuel got up and went to Eli, “I heard you call. Here I am.”
Again Eli said, “Son, I didn’t call you. Go back to bed.” (This all happened before Samuel knew God for himself. It was before the revelation of God had been given to him personally.)
8-9 God called again, “Samuel!”—the third time! Yet again Samuel got up and went to Eli, “Yes? I heard you call me. Here I am.”
That’s when it dawned on Eli that God was calling the boy. So Eli directed Samuel, “Go back and lie down. If the voice calls again, say, ‘Speak, God. I’m your servant, ready to listen.’” Samuel returned to his bed.

For Reflection

Samuel had been groomed to accept his divine destiny.  God, through Phinehas, has prepared Samuel well.  Samuel has knowledge of God and his ancestor's God Story.   With the background of a gaggle of unbridled and wicked priests, Samuel is a sharp contrast who had grown in favor of the Lord and Man.

Whom have you thought that God had prepared him or her for the task they have accepted?  How has God equipped you to be one of God's collaborators?

Pray

Pray prayers of thanksgiving and praise for the living God.  Pray often so that you can understand God's mission for your life.  Pray so that you can become God's emissary and fulfill God's will for your life.

Forward to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.