Monday, August 20, 2012

The Lord is My Shepherd

God's Creative Word
God Calls For Justice:  Justice Enacted

God Promised to Be with Us

Psalm 23

The Message
A David Psalm
 1-3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
   You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
      you find me quiet pools to drink from.
   True to your word,
      you let me catch my breath
      and send me in the right direction.

 4 Even when the way goes through
      Death Valley,
   I'm not afraid
      when you walk at my side.
   Your trusty shepherd's crook
      makes me feel secure.

 5 You serve me a six-course dinner
      right in front of my enemies.
   You revive my drooping head;
      my cup brims with blessing.

 6 Your beauty and love chase after me
      every day of my life.
   I'm back home in the house of God
      for the rest of my life.

For Reflection
This version sure sounds different.  But, this language does something important.  It makes this beloved psalm sound contemporary.  Too often old biblical language allows one to discount or at best misinterpret  the meaning of biblical passages.

Those who follow Christ make a great sacrifice.  They are different from the world.  They renounce property, happiness, rights, honor, violence and even their own righteousness in favor of humility.  In this, Christians are offensive to the world.  Christians will suffer for a just cause.

This psalm confirms the protection God offers to those who have committed themselves to Him and, therefore, suffer as one of His disciples.  How well are you prepared to suffer in God's name for a just cause? 

Pray
that you will have the wisdom to discern a God-driven just cause.  Pray for the courage to suffer for a just cause.  Listen to the Lord. Let Him send you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.