Monday, April 14, 2014

Death and Dispair

What the Prophets Foretold
Jesus and the David Covenant

The Third Day

Job 30:20-31

The Message

What Did I Do to Deserve This?

20-23 “I shout for help, God, and get nothing, no answer!
    I stand to face you in protest, and you give me a blank stare!
You’ve turned into my tormenter—
    you slap me around, knock me about.
You raised me up so I was riding high
    and then dropped me, and I crashed.
I know you’re determined to kill me,
    to put me six feet under.
24-31 “What did I do to deserve this?
    Did I ever hit anyone who was calling for help?
Haven’t I wept for those who live a hard life,
    been heartsick over the lot of the poor?
But where did it get me?
    I expected good but evil showed up.
    I looked for light but darkness fell.
My stomach’s in a constant churning, never settles down.
    Each day confronts me with more suffering.
I walk under a black cloud. The sun is gone.
    I stand in the congregation and protest.
I howl with the jackals,
    I hoot with the owls.
I’m black-and-blue all over,
    burning up with fever.
My fiddle plays nothing but the blues;
    my mouth harp wails laments.”
 
For Reflection
There are times in each of our lives when despair takes over.  We ask God, "Why me?"  Is our suffering a consequence of our own behavior?  Is it punishment for disobedience to God? The simple but unsatisfying answer is that we are human and suffering is the human condition. This answer does nothing to take away the pain. 

 It is not God's will that we suffer.  It is God's will that we seek comfort in his arms.  It is God's will that we find compassionate care in the kindnesses of others.  It is God's will that we, in spite of our troubles, find strength in the promise of God and the transforming healing power of the Holy Spirit.
 
Pray
Offer prayers and thanksgiving to the the living Lord who suffers as we suffer. Pray for all who suffer so that they may find peace in the healing power of Jesus name. Pray for those who provide compassionate care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.