Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Received by God with Honor

What the Prophets Foretold
Jesus and the Davidic Covenant

The Third Day

Psalm 73:16-28

The Message
15-20 If I’d have given in and talked like this,
    I would have betrayed your dear children.
Still, when I tried to figure it out,
    all I got was a splitting headache . . .
Until I entered the sanctuary of God.
    Then I saw the whole picture:
The slippery road you’ve put them on,
    with a final crash in a ditch of delusions.
In the blink of an eye, disaster!
    A blind curve in the dark, and—nightmare!
We wake up and rub our eyes. . . . Nothing.
    There’s nothing to them. And there never was.
21-24 When I was beleaguered and bitter,
    totally consumed by envy,
I was totally ignorant, a dumb ox
    in your very presence.
I’m still in your presence,
    but you’ve taken my hand.
You wisely and tenderly lead me,
    and then you bless me.
25-28 You’re all I want in heaven!
    You’re all I want on earth!
When my skin sags and my bones get brittle,
    God is rock-firm and faithful.
Look! Those who left you are falling apart!
    Deserters, they’ll never be heard from again.
But I’m in the very presence of God
    oh, how refreshing it is!
I’ve made Lord God my home.
    God, I’m telling the world what you do!

For Reflection
Are we all destined to drive a slippery road on crash course into a ditch of delusions?  If not under the guiding hand of God, yes!  We are easily seduced by an illusion of self control, trying to face life alone.  Our few successes at self sufficiency obviate the number of failures.  Like a gambler, mindlessly pushing slot machine buttons, anticipating a payoff that never materializes, we place hope in ourselves.

Our only hope is in the loving, compassionate arms of God.
Pray
for the confidence in God's plan for your life in God's kingdom.  Pray for all who have found themselves by losing themselves in the presence of God.  Pray that you might sacrifice your self for a God self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.