Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The House of the Lord

Jesus' Fulfillment of Scripture
What the Prophets Foretold

Jesus Cleanses the Temple

Psalm 27:1-5

The Message

A David Psalm

27 Light, space, zest—
    that’s God!
So, with him on my side I’m fearless,
    afraid of no one and nothing.
    When vandal hordes ride down
    ready to eat me alive,
Those bullies and toughs
    fall flat on their faces.
When besieged,
    I’m calm as a baby.
When all hell breaks loose,
    I’m collected and cool.
I’m asking God for one thing,
    only one thing:
To live with him in his house
    my whole life long.
I’ll contemplate his beauty;
    I’ll study at his feet.
That’s the only quiet, secure place
    in a noisy world,
The perfect getaway,
    far from the buzz of traffic.

For Reflection
As a child, I spent many hours alone on a rock outcropping overlooking a favorite dell with my PB&J sandwich and Pepsi lovingly prepared by my aunt. 

Well, I say "dell".  It was actually a space carved by strip mining and grown over.  The ledge was cantilevered over a small stream which ran through the area and into a sulfur laden creek. Sitting at the edge with feet dangling high above that weedy trough, I could dream of becoming greater than I was.  It was my sanctuary, "a perfect getaway from the buzz of traffic" in my life. If I romanticize my memory, I might say that I was living in the house of God and studying at God's feet, a vision that warms this old heart. 

Pray
Pray that you will find, as I have, a sanctuary in God's household.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.