Friday, April 5, 2013

Simon Peter Called to Follow

Beyond the Present Time
Resurrection Hope
The Lord Appears

John 21:15-19

The Message

Do You Love Me?

15 After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Master, you know I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 He then asked a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Master, you know I love you.”
Jesus said, “Shepherd my sheep.”
17-19 Then he said it a third time: “Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was upset that he asked for the third time, “Do you love me?” so he answered, “Master, you know everything there is to know. You’ve got to know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. I’m telling you the very truth now: When you were young you dressed yourself and went wherever you wished, but when you get old you’ll have to stretch out your hands while someone else dresses you and takes you where you don’t want to go.” He said this to hint at the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. And then he commanded, “Follow me.”

For Reflection
Jesus knew how to make Peter sweat. Can you imagine the hush that must have followed Christ's first question to Peter?  Having to answer the question three times must have shaken Peter to the core. Jesus does not rebuke Peter. Rather He asks Peter to confirm his love and commitment to Christ. Jesus hints at the suffering Peter will endure as a servant of Christ and offers Peter the highest form of reconciliation for his sin.

This is also our offer, to suffer in the name of Christ and be glorified for it.
 
Pray
prayers of thanksgiving for the gift of the Holy Spirit that resides within you. Pray for the courage to suffer for the Kingdom of God. Pray for all who suffer in the name of Jesus so that the Kingdom of God may be realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.