Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Appearance to Thomas

Beyond the Present Time
Resurrection Hope
The Lord Appears

John 20:24-29

The Message
24-25 But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, “We saw the Master.”
But he said, “Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won’t believe it.”
26 Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, “Peace to you.”
27 Then he focused his attention on Thomas. “Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don’t be unbelieving. Believe.”
28 Thomas said, “My Master! My God!”
29 Jesus said, “So, you believe because you’ve seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing.”

 
For Reflection
Thomas, like many of us, need proof before we act. The need for empirical evidence is perhaps, more profoundly influential in our contemporary societies because it is the preferred method of proofs in science and law and many other areas. And yet the factual truth of empirical proofs are constantly argued. I medical research the confusion is sometimes madding because of conflicting evidence. Evidenced or not belief is not always dependent on facts. Many times belief precedes evidence. Ho much proof do you need to believe in the good news?

 
Pray
that you find grace in spite of your need for hard evidence. Pray that you will see God because you believe first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.