Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Do Only What I Tell You

God's Prophets Demand Justice
Amos Rails against Injustice


Micah Calls for Justice among Unjust People


Justice, Love, and Humility

Numbers 22:15-23  The Message

15-17 Balak sent another group of nobles, higher ranking and more distinguished. They came to Balaam and said, “Balak son of Zippor says, ‘Please, don’t refuse to come to me. I will honor and reward you lavishly—anything you tell me to do, I’ll do; I’ll pay anything—only come and curse this people.’”
18-19 Balaam answered Balak’s servants: “Even if Balak gave me his house stuffed with silver and gold, I wouldn’t be able to defy the orders of my God to do anything, whether big or little. But come along and stay with me tonight as the others did; I’ll see what God will say to me this time.”
20 God came to Balaam that night and said, “Since these men have come all this way to see you, go ahead and go with them. But make sure you do absolutely nothing other than what I tell you.”
21-23 Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey, and went off with the noblemen from Moab. As he was going, though, God’s anger flared. The angel of God stood in the road to block his way. Balaam was riding his donkey, accompanied by his two servants. When the donkey saw the angel blocking the road and brandishing a sword, she veered off the road into the ditch. Balaam beat the donkey and got her back on the road.
 
For Reflection 
Balaam recognized the authority of God and deferred to God's judgment.  However, Balaam was still moved by the offer of power and wealth.  God saw this and granted permission to travel.  But, as they traveled closer to Moab, God saw Balaam slipping into the grip of Balak's seduction.   The strength of Balaam's resolve to accept Balak's reward was indicated by the violent reaction to his donkey's refusal to continue.  Balaam was slipping into sin, separating himself from God. 

We all have weak spots that can lead us to choose to follow a path that would separate us from God.  What seduces you?

Pray
that you will not weaken in your resolve to obey God.  Pray that when confronted by seductive options, you will choose to follow God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.