Friday, July 17, 2015

You Have Blessed My Enemies

God's Prophets Demand Justice
Amos Rails against Injustice


Micah Calls for Justice among Unjust People


Justice, Love, and Humility

Numbers 23:1-12 The Message

23 Balaam said, “Build me seven altars here, and then prepare seven bulls and seven rams.”
Balak did it. Then Balaam and Balak sacrificed a bull and a ram on each of the altars.
Balaam instructed Balak: “Stand watch here beside your Whole-Burnt-Offering while I go off by myself. Maybe God will come and meet with me. Whatever he shows or tells me, I’ll report to you.” Then he went off by himself.
God did meet with Balaam. Balaam said, “I’ve set up seven altars and offered a bull and a ram on each altar.”
Then God gave Balaam a message: “Return to Balak and give him this message.”
6-10 He went back and found him stationed beside his Whole-Burnt-Offering and with him all the nobles of Moab. Then Balaam spoke his message-oracle:
Balak led me here from Aram,
    the king of Moab all the way from the eastern mountains.
“Go, curse Jacob for me;
    go, damn Israel.”
How can I curse whom God has not cursed?
    How can I damn whom God has not damned?
From rock pinnacles I see them,
    from hilltops I survey them:
Look! a people camping off by themselves,
    thinking themselves outsiders among nations.
But who could ever count the dust of Jacob
    or take a census of cloud-of-dust Israel?
I want to die like these right-living people!
    I want an end just like theirs!
11 Balak said to Balaam, “What’s this? I brought you here to curse my enemies, and all you’ve done is bless them.”
12 Balaam answered, “Don’t I have to be careful to say what God gives me to say?”
For Reflection 
Balak thought that he could manipulate God through Balaam. Through Balaam,  Balak thought that he could have God support his own ends.  But God allowed Balak to think his misguided design would succeed and let the natural course of events play out until God turned Balak's endeavors into failures.  Having waited until the moment of selfish satisfaction and in the midst of Balak's followers, God blesses Balak's enemies.  God's blessing now trivializes Balak's Godless endeavors.

Pray
prayers of thanksgiving for the living God whose victory prevails.  Pray that you will travel with God in confidence that your role in God's plan is pivotal to the realization of the Kingdom of God.  Pray for your willful participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.