Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Do Not Fear

Sustaining Hope
Dark Nights of the Soul


Even So, My Redeemer Lives

Isaiah 44:1-8  The Message

44 1-5 “But for now, dear servant Jacob, listen—
    yes, you, Israel, my personal choice.
God who made you has something to say to you;
    the God who formed you in the womb wants to help you.
Don’t be afraid, dear servant Jacob,
    Jeshurun, the one I chose.
For I will pour water on the thirsty ground
    and send streams coursing through the parched earth.
I will pour my Spirit into your descendants
    and my blessing on your children.
They shall sprout like grass on the prairie,
    like willows alongside creeks.
This one will say, ‘I am God’s,’
    and another will go by the name Jacob;
That one will write on his hand ‘God’s property’—
    and be proud to be called Israel.”
6-8 God, King of Israel,
    your Redeemer, God-of-the-Angel-Armies, says:
“I’m first, I’m last, and everything in between.
    I’m the only God there is.
Who compares with me?
    Speak up. See if you measure up.
From the beginning, who else has always announced what’s coming?
    So what is coming next? Anybody want to venture a try?
Don’t be afraid, and don’t worry:
    Haven’t I always kept you informed, told you what was going on?
You’re my eyewitnesses:
    Have you ever come across a God, a real God, other than me?
    There’s no Rock like me that I know of.”
 
For Reflection

In these days of war, personal tragedy and the world-wide plague of injustice, it is difficult to find hope.  But, think of the times Israel found hope in what others would see as hopeless circumstance.  Think of the lamentations of Biblical individuals.  In times that were most troubling, the prophets encouraged hope. God changed the world.  God sent prophets.

Who are the prophets today?  Who would you get out of bed to listen to?  To the Jews of Jesus time, Christ's message was disturbing, so much so that it got him killed.  Martin Luther's message was so Earth changing that it got him killed.  Who, today, is making righteous noise that is so Earth changing that it could get him killed?
 
Pray

for the change agents in God's angel army.  Pray for wisdom and insight into the changing world.  Pray that you will find God's hand in shaking things up.  Pray that you will listen, not fight.  Pray that you will engage in prophetic ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.