Monday, October 6, 2014

Forsaken by Family and Friends

Sustaining Hope
Dark Nights of the Soul


Even So, My Redeemer Lives

Job 19:13-22  The Message

13-20 “God alienated my family from me;
    everyone who knows me avoids me.
My relatives and friends have all left;
    houseguests forget I ever existed.
The servant girls treat me like a bum off the street,
    look at me like they’ve never seen me before.
I call my attendant and he ignores me,
    ignores me even though I plead with him.
My wife can’t stand to be around me anymore.
    I’m repulsive to my family.
Even street urchins despise me;
    when I come out, they taunt and jeer.
Everyone I’ve ever been close to abhors me;
    my dearest loved ones reject me.
I’m nothing but a bag of bones;
    my life hangs by a thread.
21-22 “Oh, friends, dear friends, take pity on me.
    God has come down hard on me!
Do you have to be hard on me, too?
    Don’t you ever tire of abusing me?

For Reflection
There is a risk in living a God-centered life.  Your faith in God produces a sense of justice, a compassion for others that goes well beyond sympathy, and a profound ability to forgive.  You can't help it.  That's the way you are becoming.  This sets you apart from others.  Even in the presence of believers you may be tagged as different, "not one of us."

Even so, your redeemer will guide, comfort and protect you.  Live creatively and fearlessly.
Pray
prayers of praise and thanksgiving to the God who saves you.  Pray for courage and wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.