Monday, October 20, 2014

I Wait for You, O Lord

Sustaining Hope
Dark Nights of the Soul


Hope Satisfies

Psalm 38:9-16  The Message

9-16 Lord, my longings are sitting in plain sight,
    my groans an old story to you.
My heart’s about to break;
    I’m a burned-out case.
Cataracts blind me to God and good;
    old friends avoid me like the plague.
My cousins never visit,
    my neighbors stab me in the back.
My competitors blacken my name,
    devoutly they pray for my ruin.
But I’m deaf and mute to it all,
    ears shut, mouth shut.
I don’t hear a word they say,
    don’t speak a word in response.
What I do, God, is wait for you,
    wait for my Lord, my God—you will answer!
I wait and pray so they won’t laugh me off,
    won’t smugly strut off when I stumble.
 
For Reflection

The last four lines of this passage express a profound hope.  Hope is not a wishful expectation.  Hope is not a last ditch, hail Mary, nothing to lose, bet on the end of troubled times.

Hope is a deep seated conviction that God will make all things right, that God will protect us, that God will never forsake us, that God has faith and hope in us.  Hope is the foundation of expecting good even when good takes its time to arrive.  Hope permits patience.

Pray
for sustaining hope.  Pray for the hopeless so that they may find hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post comments here.